Pages

Monday, August 19, 2013

Music Monday: Aaron Lee Martin


Photograph by Jessica Noelle Photography

Like last week's Music Monday post, this week will also feature a musician that I have had the pleasure of sharing the stage with. I first met Aaron Lee Martin when a mutual musician friend of ours, Tyler Clarensau, asked me to arranged a gig for the three of us in Memphis back in the spring of 2007. The only venue I was able to secure was a Starbucks, that is quite possibly the smallest one ever built.

Tyler and Aaron were on tour together for about 9 weeks from Kansas. Aaron absolutely blew everyone's mind. Aaron, with his long beard, barefeet, and torn jeans had a slight mountain-man vibe. With no need for a microphone, Aaron belted his songs while playing banjo and harmonica, and stomping on a tambourine with his bare feet. I have been rocking out to the same Aaron Lee Martin album ever since that show.

I chose to feature Aaron this week because of his song "McPherson, KS". I have now been on the road, mainly in Texas, for 16 weeks and the time to go home is drawing near. I used to work at a church camp on the Tennessee River not far from Nashville, TN and there was a DuPont plant across the water. When Aaron sings "I arrived so early that the lights of the refinery were brightly glowing welcoming me home", I cannot help but think of the many summers spent at that special place.

This song has been my theme song for the past few days as I have prepared to go home, been delayed, and prepared again. This is a more mellow version of my eccentric friend, but one that I'm sure you'll enjoy!

(There's a bit of talking before the song plays, the song starts at 00:01:34)

No comments:

Post a Comment