Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

Bow Tie Friday: Bluegrass Accents

As you can imagine, I love bow ties. I feel like the growing trend of wearing bow ties is a step towards classic southern elegance. As one of my favorite quotes says, "wearing a bow tie is a way of expressing an aggressive lack of concern for what other people think." It's true. Anyone can wear a regular neck tie, but it takes a confident man to rock a bow tie.

For this week's Bow Tie Friday, I talked to Kyla Cochran of Bluesgrass Accents about her bow tie business and the story behind it! As you'll see below, Kyla is the epitome of a Southern Belle. Even when reading the words she speaks, her bluegrass accent will catch your attention. In the photograph shown below, Kyla is sporting a dress that she made herself, showing that her skills do not stop at bow ties!

YOUR NAME:
Kyla Cochran

HOMETOWN:
I was born in Matewan, WV (YES! The "Hatfield and McCoy Feud" Matewan...I'm actually a Hatfield if you go back far enough).
CURRENT CITY:
I grew up all over Kentucky and have happily been calling Lexington "home" since 2008.
ALMA MATER:
I am currently attending the University of Kentucky (Go Cats!). After trying a couple of different majors, I chose to pursue a degree in what I'm passionate about, so I'm studying Merchandising, Apparel, and Textiles
WHEN WAS YOUR COMPANY ESTABLISHED?
2011

WHY BLUEGRASS ACCENTS?
We originally were established as House of Southern Accents, but have since undergone a name change. As proud as I am to be a part of the South as a whole, having grown up all over Kentucky, I wanted to sort of pay homage to all the places that have made me who I am, and the brand what it is. So, in June 2013 we underwent a name change to Bluegrass Accents.

WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO START THE COMPANY?
In January 2001, my family lost my beautiful cousin, Crystal, to cancer at the age of 29. My cousin and I were very close and being close in age as well as the only female grandchildren, we grew up more like sisters than cousins. Her house is where I spent much of my childhood drawing, painting, and creating. I remember when she was in her teens and started sketching beautiful dress designs that I was in awe of. Design wasn't her passion though, children were. She became a Kindergarten teacher and used her creativity to inspire her students, but she also inspired me more than I can ever put into words. Her sketches will always be in the back of my mind, and the strength she had gave me what I needed to set out on a dream of my own.
WHY BOW TIES?
I knew I wanted to create, but I hadn't quite settled on what I wanted to create. That's where a good friend of mine and a great fraternity come into the picture. My best friend, Will, needed a date to a fraternity date function and, of course, we wanted to match. He didn't have a bow tie that matched the dress I was wearing so I set out to make him one. That one turned into 4 (one for each date party) and those 4 were the start of everything. That's where we are today, and by "we" I mean myself and my dog, Chessie.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE BEVERAGE?
Being a Kentucky girl, I would be remiss if I didn't mention bourbon. However, most of the time you're likely to find me with a glass of sweet tea.

WHAT IS YOU "JAM"?
I am country music all the way. In general I prefer the legends over today's country (think The Possum, Garth, George Strait, Hank, Dolly, and Chris LeDoux) though I'd be telling a tall tale if I said I wouldn't shake it if Luke Bryan asked. I have to say though, in the past couple of years, I've been lucky enough to know a few great musicians, and having seen them play live just last Saturday, "Lilly" by Sundy Best is the song that is currently stuck in my head and on repeat on my iTunes!

FAVORITE FOOTBALL TEAM?
The Kentucky Wildcats, for better or worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment