Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Southernism: Coke & Peanuts

A tradition that reminds me of summers growing up, an a southernism that makes my office of yankees cringe. Of course, I could only be talking about Coke & Peanuts.




Yesterday I was sitting at my desk with a bottle of Coke with a handful of peanuts in it and my colleagues refused to talk to me while I enjoyed this wonderful treat. I reckon I've found a way to get them to leave me alone when I'm busy.

My department consists of about 15 mid-twenty year old transplants from all over the country (and a Canadian, eh). This quirky snack had them all up in arms. "THAT IS NOT A THING!" They claimed. Yanks. If you google Coke & Peanuts, the FIRST result is the Coca Cola website. If that's not proof that it's a thing, I don't know what is.

But their inquisitive minds got me thinking. What is the origin of this odd, yet delicious combination? It appears that no one really knows. Many, however, believe that it stemmed mainly out of convenience for the hard southern workers. Need to keep working while you eat a snack? Driving? Smoking? Hands dirty from working on cars? This southernism allows you to keep one hand free while enjoying the sweet and salty duo.

I remember doing this when I was growing up. Our parents would drop us off at the pool for swim team practice every morning where we would stay until they got off work. I'd drop a handful of peanuts into a coke bottle so I didn't have to worry about my soaking wet, chlorine hands messin' with my peanuts.

 One summer in college, I worked in a small mountain town in Grundy County (kinda Middle/East TN). The days were hot and long and many afternoons were spent on the front porch of a civil war era hotel in a rocking chair with coke and peanuts.

Now this pairing has sprouted many interesting recipes like Coca Cola cake with Broiled Peanut Icing and my personal favorite: The Tallulah (coke, peanuts, and whiskey). So the next time your enjoying some peanuts, plop a few in your coke. You can thank me later!

No comments:

Post a Comment