Pages

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Drink This: Aged Whiskey

To say I love bourbon is an understatement. With so much variety out there, I love experimenting with new bottles. I'm excited about today's post because of a variety of reasons.

Reasons Bow Tie Gent Loves Today's Bourbon Post:

1. On this day 80 years ago, prohibition ended













2. Tips are pouring in regarding the missing Pappy Van Winkle

















3. I love bourbon....

So here we go. Now we all know that I enjoy making things. I enjoy building, crafting, cooking, and infusing alcohol (see my post on habanero infused vodka for bloody mary's) Anywho, I went to one of my favorite bars last night, The Crunkleton, in downtown Chapel Hill, NC. It was pretty cozy last night with the Christmas decorations up, moose and deer heads on the wall and Christmas lights lining the streets outside. So I made myself comfortable in one of the oversized worn leather chairs positioned by the window and gazed outside at the passersby. I started out with my usual Old Fashioned, but later switched to a couple of glasses of Pappy Van Winkle (in his memory during these tough times). I love 20 year old Pappy, obviously. It doesn't get much better than that. I find it no coincidence, however, that the box of the month from Bespoke Post, aptly titled "AGED" is a whiskey aging kit.

It's simple: choose an unaged liquor, pour it into the aging kit, wait 10 days, and BOOM! This process changes the character and flavor, mellowing the taste. This kit takes a process that normally takes months, and gives you that barrel aged taste in just under 2 weeks!



So pour yourself a glass, turn on a Christmas movie, and enjoy a nice evening at home.

Now Playing: "Christmas Blues" by G. Love

No comments:

Post a Comment