Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Buy This: Old Try

As I mentioned yesterday, I recently moved to Durham, North Carolina (RTP). I have a great apartment that was put together with items from my old apartment, my childhood home, my dad's house, and even my stepmom's old house. Everything came together perfectly. There are a few pieces on the walls but not much. So for Christmas this year I have introduced my friends and family to Old Try. My hope is to fill some of the blank spaces with reminders of my southern heritage and my old Tennessee home (sorry, Kentucky).

I've always been a statesman. I take pride in my home and the history behind the Volunteer State. Whereas I have moved to an AMAZING place, nothing will ever replace Tennessee and the memories I have there.

It's only appropriate that I pay homage to my home.


So while my family begins to search for the perfect gift for me this Christmas (cough cough) I reached out to Marianna & Micah Whitson of Old Try to pick their brains a little bit about their tribute to good ole' Dixie.

 
 Old Try has a great collection of state and city themed prints as well as prints that generally apply to the south as a whole. The great thing about the South is our rich heritage and unique traditions.  So I found myself a few North Carolina prints to show represent the new chapter in my live. Check out a few prints and shirts for yourself and keep reading to see the interview with the folks behind Old Try! 

 NAME: Micah Whitson

HOMETOWN: Athens, AL

CURRENT CITY: Charlotte, NC

ALMA MATER: Ole Miss (Business) 

WHEN WAS YOUR COMPANY ESTABLISHED 2011

WHY OLD TRY? Well, Old Try wasn't going to make prints, initially. I came up with an idea of making throwback college letter sweaters. So, Old Try came from the old college try. Figured we might as well give it a shot and see where it would take us. And the logo just kind of came to my brain. The hammer represents the state bird of Alabama (the yellowhammer) and the scissors represent the textile history of NC.

WHAT INSPIRED YOU? After being up North for four years, I really started missing home. And just a few weeks earlier, I'd seen a really beautiful letterpress poster on a light pole. So on the bus home one evening, I said 'Drop the sweaters. Let's make posters for the South. And send those love letters on home.

WHAT'S YOUR DRINK OF CHOICE? Bourbon, neat. 

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE SONG? Most of them. 

WHO DO YOU CHEER FOR EACH SATURDAY? - My Rebels of Oxford, Mississippi  






Now Playing: "Dear Alice" by The Dirty Guv'nahs

No comments:

Post a Comment