Pages

Saturday, July 27, 2013

1,700 NO's

Tomorrow marks 10 weeks on the road in Texas, and today marks 12 weeks since packing up all of my belongings to begin this adventure. As finished my MBA and looking to the future, I returned to a company I interned with before as an Area Sales Manager. 77 nights in hotels (plus 1 nigh between NC and TX, 1 night on my buddy's couch in Martin, 1 night on my sister's couch in Memphis). I've driven more than 15,000 miles between Memphis, Tyler, Dallas, Fort Worth, Denton, Austin, Abilene, Waco, and Lubbock. I've met with approximately 1,750 businesses during my time in Texas...and statistically I've probably heard "NO" 1,700 times. I have 16 hotels on speed dial in various cities and they recognize my car when I pull up. I have 7 bartenders that already know my order and even a homeless guy in Austin, TX that remembers me. I could write a book when it comes to living out of a hotel. I should almost consider writing a Texas guide book when it comes to restaurants and bars (not the touristy ones, but the dives that welcome outsiders)and attractions. I have even considered a career in the hotel industry after the countless trade contracts, nights stayed, room service ordered, and wake up calls scheduled. Despite my meal allowance, most nights are spent eating a bag of Sour Cream and Onion Lays potato chips and drinking a Mountain Dew. Can't you tell I'm on a diet? Many evenings when I begin my trek to the next city, I would much rather make it to my hotel bed at a reasonable hour than stop for food. Now it's time to plan my next move. I'm currently busting my ass with this job to earn the right to begin a full time position with this company, rather than my "contractor" position I currently hold. I also have the opportunity to consider other options. Career change? Travel? Both? Let's see what adventures the future holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment