Pages

Friday, March 14, 2014

Bull City Part 2

My job requires a lot of traveling. So I'm a big fan of exploring an trying new things. As you all saw in my post last week, I'm really enjoying my weekends spent exploring Durham, NC, my new home.

This past weekend was very similar. After work, I headed up to The Crunkleton for a Vieux Carre and to catch up with my bartender buddy. The college crowd started to make its way to Franklin Street and I decide that was my cue to leave. I headed to downtown Durham in search of some good eats.

Now, I'm sure you're all aware of just how cold it's been the past few days. Friday was a decent day, and I forgot to pack a coat. So as I wandered the streets of Durham, hugging myself for warmth, I peered into the shop windows to check my chances of getting a table.

Slim. To. None.

I tried Mateo bar de Tapas, Beyu Cafe, Dame's Chicken and Waffles, and a few others. PACKED. So I headed back over to Geer Street Garden, ordered the fried chicken plate (read my Yelp review here) and then meandered back to Main Street to enjoy a drink at Whiskey

Whiskey is an interesting place. Whiskey is a private club for members aged 23 years or over and their guests; a gathering place for grownups. Not far from Toast (next door) and Bull McCabes Irish Pub (across the street), great food is just outside the front door. Whiskey does permit smoking and we have a selection of cigars for sale on hand. Whiskey believes to have the states largest whiskey menu (at last count 337) and features a cigar bar upstairs.

I grabbed a few drinks, stumbled outside and hailed a cab.

Saturday morning I was determined. I was determined to eat at Dame's Chicken and Waffles. It has always been packed when I walk by and let's face it...who doesn't love chicken and waffles? Judging by the hangover I was nursing with a homemade Bloody Mary (Charleston Mix, homemade habanero-infused Tito's vodka, bacon, and pickled greenbeans), I needed to wait until later in day to go when there would be fewer hungover individuals craving nurishment.

Wrong.

At 2:00 in the afternoon, Dame's had an hour and forty-five minute wait.

I walked over by the old Leggett and Myers Tobacco Company warehouse in Brightleaf Square to try out a place called Parker & Otis. Talk about unique. This deli type venue features beer and wine shelves, cookwares, novelty items, and more. I ordered a Shrimp BLT that changed my life and guzzled down a Cheerwine. After lunch, I perused the store and gazed in awe at the offerings before me. I pick up some Chapel Hill Toffee that I hope will last until my mom and sister visit next week, John Currence's book "Pickles, Pigs, and Whiskey", a couple of coffee mugs and other food items, and hit the road for an afternoon nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment