Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

Music Monday: St. Paul and the Broken Bones

Singer Paul Janeway and his band, the Broken Bones. Photo by David McClister

This band blew me away the first time I heard them. I first heard their soul full chorus on my way to the panhandle for a hunting trip in Lower Alabama. I was reminded of their awesomeness in the latest edition of Garden & Gun magazine.

Now this band is right up my ally for a number of reasons. I LOVE Otis Redding and enjoy quite a bit of Redding's "White Christmas" over the holidays. It is arguably one of the greatest remakes of that classic. But this soulful southern band has the look, vintage hipster if you will, to go along with the revival of southern greatness, including bourbon and bow ties. St. Paul and the Broken Bones have the entire package.

But look at Janeway. This picture shows that he likes to be soulful but in no way did that prepare me for what my ears heard.



In his interview with Garden & Gun, Janeway discussed his back ground with "Holy Roller" type testifying in church, growing up  forbidden from listening to secular music. Although, his parents have come around to Janeway’s way of preaching. He even found out his dad was to some degree a closet rocker, attending concerts by Elvis, Elton John, and Johnny Cash. “I think there was a sense of realism that came out when my parents split,” Janeway says. “They’re supportive, and now when I talk to my dad, he always starts the conversation with ‘What’s up, Elvis?’”


No comments:

Post a Comment